What is Project-based Learning?
Project-based learning is a teaching method where students gain and apply skills by working on a long project where they complete an in-depth inquiry into a specific topic or question. Like all teaching methods, it’s not standalone. It can be added to the teaching you are already doing in your classroom. PBL allows for more real world application and in-depth understanding of the concepts your students need to understand.
Why Project-based Learning?
Project-based learning is great for the classroom for many reasons.
- PBL makes it easy to differentiate. Read this blog post for more information.
- Classroom management gets easier with PBL because students are engaged in learning. This blog post has more info on setting your classroom up for PBL success.
- Any and all types of technology can be included in PBL!
- You can incorporate multiple subject areas into one PBL.
- PBL can be done any month of the year. Holiday-themed PBL is a student favorite!
Planning project-based learning is a huge task. It can be time consuming to align it to the standards and figure out how to bring in multiple subject areas. I’ve already done the work and we’ve tried and revised each project many time. Each PBL included all the printables students will need to keep their work organized, as well as detailed teacher guides to walk you through the entire PBL. The teacher’s guides includes the following:
- How to get your students ready for each part, sometimes including videos to watch and articles to read
- Differentiation ideas
- The standards each part of the project relates to
- How to make connections with the other subject areas
- How to complete each part of the project, including teacher examples
Free Planning Resource
Use the planning guide to help organize your ideas for each project. This will help customize each PBL to your specific classroom and help you brainstorm ways to bring in other subject areas.
Learn how to implement project-based learning in your classroom, from start to finish!
Available Resources for Project-based Learning
3rd Grade Math
4th Grade Math
5th Grade Math
ELA (Multiple Grade Levels)
The Project-based Learning Club
You can get access to ALL of my PBL activities and support implementing PBL in your classroom!
- Unlimited access to all of my pre-made project-based learning activities for grades 3, 4, and 5 through a special members-only area. Note: This access is for the purchaser only and is for one classroom license of materials.
- Membership to an exclusive newsletter to be notified when new projects are added. Remember, you have LIFETIME access to all of my future PBLs!
- Fast e-mail support for questions and panic attacks.
- Membership to the private Facebook group where you can ask questions and work with other teachers that are implementing the same project-based learning activities that you are.
- Contests, giveaways, and more!
- Professional development
- Join here!